Before you think I’ve lost it, it is exactly what it sounds like; cleansing your face with oil! I know it sounds a little cray, especially since we are taught ‘oily skin’ is the worst thing in the world to have. Well this works quite well for my normal-combination skin type. The reason why OCM easily works, especially for acne prone skin is because oil cancels oil, which means if you have acne prone skin your skin more than likely produces too much oil. Adding an oil based cleanser deducts your skin’s natural oils and replaces it with healthy balanced oil. We need oil, it gives us moisture and keeps our skin youthful, elastic and in tact, which is what makes OCM so positive.
I’ve always had very normal skin, quite clear if I may say so myself. My pores are tight, skin is normal and I rarely have pimples unless its mother nature knocking at my door. So trying something new was a bit frightening because I’m definitely one of those ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’ kind of gals.
I found myself skeptical at first, because adding oil to my skin just didn’t make sense, until I did my research. I gave it a try for about 2 weeks to see if I would like it and I didn’t let anyone I’m close to know what I was doing. I wanted to see if they would notice a difference. My boyfriend instantly noticed just after a few days in. He kept complimenting me on having a glow. My mother noticed after about two weeks; she bragged about my more even skin tone. This let me know I was doing something right. I’ve been an Oil Cleanse Method user for 3 months now and it is the easiest and most budget friendly skin care regimen I’ve ever found. Here’s how it works:
- Each individual has a personal oil blend. My oil blend of choice is castor oil and sunflower oil. It was something I had around my house and it’s known to work well for normal-combination skin types.
- Mix the two together at a ratio that works best for your skin type. If you have normal skin use a 1:1 ratio of your oils, if you have oily skin use a 1:3 ratio of your oils (oil of choice : castor oil), and if you have dry skin us a 3:1 ratio of your oils (oil of choice : castor oil.)
- Simply pour the oils into a bottle and shake well before using. Oils separate and you want to get a blended amount of both oils.
- With clean hands, pour a quarter size amount onto your hands and massage into the skin using circular motions. After oil has been thoroughly massaged you are ready to remove.
- Run warm water, with a clean towel, soak the towel in the heated water. Squeeze towel of excess water and cover your entire face with the towel.
- Allow to sit on skin and release steam; this serves as a personal steamer for your face, opening pores so that the excess oils can be released.
- Continuously steam your skin with the towel until skin feels free of excess oils. Gently pat away all excess from skin.
You WIll Need:
- Your oil blend (castor oil as the main oil that removes impurities + the oil of your choice)
- A clean towel
- Steamy running water
Oil Cleansing is a method that caters to each person individually, my personal oil blend and method may not work for you for the simple fact that we may have different skin types. It’s worth putting in the extra research for your own personal oil blending type and method.
A Few Tips:
- Never rub the skin harshly, it could damage the skin.
- Massage oil in circular motions for a steady blood flow.
- Oil Cleansing can be used as a makeup remover as well.
- Oil Cleansing once a day is sufficient. Once before bed works best; when you wake, rinsing your face with water should suffice for a clean and fresh face.
- Avoid Coconut oil on your face, it may clog pores.
- Always use fresh wash cloths.
- Consider allergies
Good Oils For Skin Types:
- Normal – sunflower, sweet almond, olive, safflower, avocado, camellia oil
- Sensitive – rice bran, grapeseed, jojoba, sunflower, sweet almond, camellia oil
- Oily – grapeseed, jojoba, hazelnut, safflower, ricebran
- Dry – olive, macadamia, corn, avocado, sunflower, sweet almond, camellia oil
- Acne Prone – jojoba, grapeseed, ricebran, hazelnut, sweet almond, sunflower, safflower, walnut
- Mature – rosehip seed, borage, carrot, sweet almond, olive, avocado, camellia oil
Happy Oil Cleansing!