Birthing Brave: Labor & Delivery

Since I’ve shared other big moments in my life from proposals, and marriage, so it’s only right that I tell you about Brave’s birth story.

On Monday, October 21st I slept in really late. My family had been encouraging me to get all the rest I could get, so I took full advantage of having them in town and got a couple of extra hours of sleep that day. I woke up around 11am and went to the bathroom, I noticed instantly that early labor had started.

It’s funny because all night long while sleeping I remember waking up every hour or so to cramps and pressure but I was too tired to notice or do anything about it so I slept right through. Once I woke up and noticed early labor started I knew I needed to take full advantage of my day.

Around 12pm HD made us breakfast, and we headed for our afternoon walk. The neighborhood we live in has a lot of hills so I began to feel contractions on each incline and with HD’s help, I pushed my way through.

Later I took a nice hot shower, groomed myself in case I needed to go to the hospital later, washed my hair, gave myself a facial mask to calm my nerves and put on some cute pajamas to make myself feel good.

By this time it was around 3pm and I noticed my contractions were around an hour apart. This is progress because they originally started 3-4 hours apart. I knew if I wanted to stay ahead of pain management I needed to keep in motion and not just sit still, so my plan was to move, then rest, and repeat.

I cleaned the house, finished some laundry, took a break and lounged on the couch, my mom cooked chili and I enjoyed a nice big bowl, shortly after I enjoyed my early dinner –things really picked up.

By now I was in full blown labor at home. Which is exactly what I wanted. I chose to labor my entire time at home because I didn’t want to be admitted in the hospital and put in the bed right away. I knew I wanted to keep in motion and the best way to do that was staying home. My husband was a HUGE help. He stayed by my side through every single contraction, counted the minutes apart, and even helped me with positions to find comfort. He was a real trooper. We labored at home for 17 hours until about 2am when I finally couldn’t take it anymore and insisted that we went to the hospital.

By the time we got to the hospital my contractions were 2 minutes apart and I was 8 cm dilated. It was literally GO time. If I would have stayed home any longer our son would have been either born at home or born in the car. I was quickly admitted and set up for delivery. My doctor arrived an hour later and I was exactly 10 cm dilated, it was time to push.

The time was now 5:30am, so I had been in labor a total of 18 hours and still had a ways to go. Within minutes of pushing I became exhausted. It was literally the hardest thing I had ever done. 10-second intervals, 3 times, during contractions that were coming 2-minutes apart. that’s a total pushing time of 900 seconds. That’s 15 minutes total pushing (literally contracting your muscles for 15 minutes nonstop). THIS WAS A FIGHT lol.

I felt my body going into shock, I was shivering, having cold and hot sweats, slurring my words and there was no head in sight yet. Then our son crowned, it was beautiful, I saw every moment in the mirror and it was just the motivation I needed to keep pushing. My doctor cheered me on, my husband was proud and amazed and kept chanting positive affirmations (seriously, think Khaled vibes haha), my mom and sister were in awe! Everything was perfect but our son got stuck. His shoulders were too broad to push through, and we had very little time to get him out safely. So I pushed, and pushed, harder and harder fighting to squeeze him out. After 30 more minutes of pushing his shoulders finally popped out.

Our son, Brave Zaire Smith was born at 7:40 am on Tuesday, October 22, 2019. He weighed 7 lbs 14 oz (1 oz shy of 8 lbs) and was 20.5 inches long. He was absolutely beautiful and healthy, he lost a little oxygen when he was stuck but recovered very well.

But our fight wasn’t over. After Brave’s delivery my doctor began what was suppose to be a normal procedure, stitching me up. She quickly noticed that I didn’t tear in the usual way, I tore from the inside. My son ripped my cervix and I was losing a lot of blood and had 3rd degree tearing. They thought I would need a blood transfusion. It was too much to handle in the labor room, I had to be rushed to OR for immediate response.

After being separated from Brave and my husband for what felt like an eternity, I rejoined them in the recovery room 9 hours later. It was the most magical reunion of my life. I literally cried the entire procedure because I missed them so much and just wanted to see my baby. I only had 30 secs with him, no ‘golden hour’ like I hoped for. But, I finally had my family, we were finally together at once. It was absolutely beautiful and our life has been beautiful ever since. Brave’s now 1 week old and we are smitten. We’re not getting much rest these days but none of that matters when your heart is full of pure joy. We’re so in love. I can’t wait to share more updates about Brave’s life.

Thank you for your support throughout this pregnancy, you guys are the absolute best!

Xx, Triena


Copyright © 2021 · Theme by 17th Avenue