I can truly say I’m very fortunate to be one of the few that can work from home. While it has a lot of perks, like flexibility and technically being your own boss … it also comes with a load of anxiety, like extended work hours or sometimes never even getting dressed! Working from home can be a challenge in itself because you aren’t in a typical work environment; but here are 5 tips to help you keep your sanity and stay on top of your workload.
- START YOUR DAY. As crazy as it sounds, you wouldn’t believe how many people work all day from home, then look up at the clock and it’s nearly 5pm and they are still wearing pajamas! When you work from home there’s no time clock to punch in-or-out of, so the moment you open your eyes you immediately think of work, because technically you’re in your work space. Consequently your entire day has passed you by and you have yet to shower, eat, or even think about things that are not work related. AVOID THAT. Always start your day a few hours before you begin your work. Keep a regular routine as you would as if you were going into an office. Wake up a few hours before work, groom yourself, eat, and prepare yourself for the day. You’ll be much more functional and focused on work when you do so.
- CREATE WORK HOURS. When you work from home, you tend to work little by little all day. Well, that’s not healthy. You’ll shut yourself off from your life and those you love by working all day. Create a functional work schedule for yourself so that you can handle work during work hours and your house will become a home after those hours are up. Stick to enforcing those periodic breaks so that you aren’t tied to work all day. Also remember to enjoy your flexibility, you aren’t working for someone on purpose. If you have random things that come up, take full advantage of penciling them into your schedule; after all you are your own boss!
- LET FAMILY KNOW YOU’RE WORKING. Working from home can become complicated, especially if you don’t live alone. You can’t expect for everyone to understand what you do and the details of your daily tasks. Honestly, sometimes people think you’re just fiddling on your computer, and that’s understandable. Be sure to let your family, friends or roommates know that you’re working, and sometimes you can’t hang out.
- GET OUT OF THE HO– USE. When you work from home, that means you don’t get out of the house as much. Make sure you indulge in daily or weekly outings for your own sanity! Sometimes working outside of the house is a great way to separate your personal life from your work life. Post up at a coffee shop to get some work done, or actually go out for lunch or cocktails with friends. You always need a breather.
- CREATE A DESIGNATED WORK SPACE. Preferably one that’s not your bed (horrible for Feng Shui.) When you create a work space you will have a greater understanding of when it’s time to work and when it’s time to hang out. This also helps you feel like you’ve left work, when you’re not in your work space. Always shoot to create a separation of your work and living space.