My sinuses have always been the bearer of bad news during spring. It never fails as soon as the weather breaks, so does my nasal passages. A few weeks ago I went to the dentist for my regular cleaning; all in all the check up was perfect. No cavities, no build up, great healthy teeth. WHEW! Unfortunately about a week later I woke up with excruciating pain in my mouth … all driving to the left side. My face was swollen, my head was throbbing, and my gums felt warm and infected. I called up my dentist with extreme confusion. Surely if I had a cavity they would have told me last week! Turns out, it was just another form of my stupid sinuses getting the best of me. Who knew your sinus troubles could also infect your gum and teeth!
Since then I’ve been taking extra measures to ensure that my nasal passages and sinuses are under control. I’m really trying to avoid any sinus trouble this Spring. Here are a few of my home remedies that I use to avoid any sinus pain.
1. FLUSH Your Passasges. As common as this is, flushing your passages is the best way to stay clear of any sinus trouble. Be sure to gargle with salt to remove mucous from your throughout and to take any swelling down. Swelling is a big indicator that your sinuses are irritated. You can also flush your nasal passages with sea salt or saline spray. You don’t have to use anything with harsh chemicals, your natural over the counter sprays will do just fine.
2. Remain HYDRATED. If the color of your urine is clear, you’re hydrated. Hydration is always key with fighting your sinuses, because in order for your sinuses to live a healthy and trouble-less life, they must be moisturized. Make sure you’re taking in the correct amount of water each day.
3. STEAM Your Face. To directly moisturize your sinuses give yourself a steam facial so that you can have immediate contact your sinuses. You can do this by taking a hot and steamy bath/shower or using a facial steamer. I prefer using my facial steamer nightly just before bed, even adding a drop of lavender, so that I don’t wake up with irritated sinuses throughout the night.
4. SPICE Up Your Life. Spices and herbs effortlessly open your passage ways. Using warmer spices with your foods can make breathing a little better. Try mustard, hot peppers and curry to flavor your meals –your sinuses will thank you.
5. Use A Humidifier. In case you haven’t noticed, moisture is key when making sure your sinuses are in check. One way to sleep through the night without waking up to irritated passage ways is to sleep near a humidifier. Be sure to clean your humidifier regularly, because a dirty humidifier can easily breed mold.
Following these remedies and maintaining an allergy free home by simply dusting and cleaning your living space –you will easily beat Spring’s Sinus Season.